Friday 10 June 2011

UK Handmade Tutorial


Just a quick blog today to mention that I had a tutorial published on UK Handmade site this week! It’s a tutorial for making my ceramic heart decorations which you can see in the picture above. I’ve been making these little decorations for a couple of years now. At first I made them especially for Valentine’s Day, but they proved popular all year round and so I often make small batches for my Folksy Shop or for sale at shows and at my local Arts Centre - where they do quite well as little gifts for visitors.

I chose these hearts because I wanted to do something that was easy enough for beginners and people new to ceramics to try out – although I think the tutorial also demonstrates just how many stages are involved in even the most simple of ceramic ideas! (Pottery is always more complicated than it looks.) But I hope people enjoy the tutorial and maybe find inspiration for making their own designs in ceramics and in other media too.

I had good fun doing this tutorial actually. In fact ‘the making of’ the tutorial could be a whole DVD extra in itself! I decided the best way to illustrate this Make was to show photos of me making ‘in action’. This required positioning my tripod at a precarious angle to get in close enough and then using the ten-second time-delay on my camera. So imagine lots of running backwards and forwards around a table cleaning my hands each time and checking the camera for focus, battery life and to make sure everything was in frame. Add to this the fact that I was in my un-heated studio back in January and that might explain why my hands look absolutely freezing! Oh the glamorous life of a potter…

Anyway, just to say many thanks again to Charlotte Hupfield at UK Handmade. And here’s a link to my Make and here’s a link to the hearts in my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment